Call for application for a Professional Training on “Advanced SPSS for statistical analysis”
DATES (4 days) : 30th, 31st October and 1st, 2nd November 2020 (9AM to 5PM) @EPRN Office, University of Rwanda Gikondo Campus
Trainer : Dr Kasim Munyegera (Expert in SPSS)
SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Sciences) is one of the most popular software packages for conducting statistical analysis.
In everyday analysis researchers encounter categorical variables (eg. Marital status, gender, income groups, district of residence, age groups, occupation, area of residence, to name but a few). This training will demonstrate how to deal with these type of variables using SPSS software. The emphasis will be put on transforming these variables and analyzing relationships among them using regression techniques, in order to inform decision making and evaluation. The training will be practical ; participants will work on datasets from household surveys, namely EICV (Integrated Household Living Conditions Survey (s)) and DHS (Demographic and Health Survey).
2. Summarized Course Content
• Types of data storage in SPSS
• Univariate, bivariate and multivariate descriptive analysis
• Data visualization or graphical representation of data
• Data manipulation, including creating, modifying and recoding variables
• Correlation analysis
• Inferential statistics, including mean difference t-test, Chi-square test for independence of variables, t-test for the significance of regression coefficients, F-test for the overall significance of regression models,
• Estimation and interpretation of regression models in SPSS
• Coding and analysis of qualitative data using SPSS
• ANOVA and MANOVA
• Panel data analysis
• Time series analysis
3. Training methods
The training course will be run in a workshop style with a high degree of participants’ involvement. Adult learning methodologies will be employed, and participants will not be passive. Debate and discussion will be encouraged. The trainer will use a mix of presentations to define and explain key concepts and practical exercises using SPSS. Though EPRN has computers in Training Rooms, but participants are advised to bring their laptops so that we can install for them the training software.
EPRN will issue completion certificates to participants who will successfully attend the course and pass the course test.
Note : At the end of the course, the trainer will deliver a test, and ONLY participants who will get at least 60% will get the certificates. Others will be advised to wait until another training opportunity for the same course and will attend it free of charge (this chance is provided only once).
5. Training Fees
• Members : 40,000 Rwf
• Non-members : 100,000 Rwf
6. Application process
Interested applicants are encouraged to pay the registration fees through the following bank details :
• Bank Account : 00040 06945750 07 RWF (Bank of Kigali)
• Title of the Account : Economic Policy Research Network
7. How to become ‘EPRN Member’ ?
To join our Network, you need to pay membership fees :
• Individual annual membership fees are 50,000Rwf for national experts ; and 100,000Rwf for international experts (Non-Rwandans).
• Undergraduate students pay 5000Rwf a year, whereas post-graduate students pay 20,000 Rwf. Fresh graduates keep paying the same fees as enrolled students for a period of one year after graduation.
• Annual Membership Fees for Institutional members : Development Partners, INGOs, Ministries and Government agencies pay 2 Million Rwf. Other Institutions like Universities, CSOs/NGOs, Private Companies pay 1 Million Rwf.
Key Membership Benefits are :
(a) Networking with other experts, (b) professional trainings at a discounted rate, (c) free online training, (d) research facilitation (mentorship, presentation and publication), (e) institutions have access to a wide audience for studies’ reports dissemination through policy debates and conferences, (f) institutions have easy access to resource parsons/experts, (g) easy flow of information through a wide network of experts, etc…
If you need further clarifications, call us through : 0788357648 or write to us : [email protected]
NB : Register here
Mr Seth Kwizera