Call for application for a Professional training on ‘Cost Benefit Analysis and Feasibility Study’
DATES : 23rd -25th July 2021 (9AM – 4PM)
Online through ZOOM (the link and training materials will be sent to paid trainees before training date)
Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) is a useful tool to assess the financial and economic implications of projects. A financial and economic CBA systematically quantifies the costs and benefits of a project, comparing them against the situation without the project. It provides an indication of how costs, benefits and project risks could be divided between project participants ; and between private and public sector participants.
The financial CBA takes the perspective of the project cash flows and analyses to what extent the project is attractive to private investors. The economic CBA, also referred to as socio-economic CBA, takes a wider perspective, often that of the national economy. It includes and quantifies as much as possible the external costs and benefits of the project. The economic CBA study helps decision makers decide whether a contribution from public funds is justified.
2. Summarized Course Content
This course will cover the following sub topics and more focus will be put in practices rather than theories :
Introduction to cost-benefit analysis
• Aim of cost-benefit analysis
• Importance to policy-makers and link to Impact Assessment
• Importance to regulated utilities and infrastructure investment
• Ex ante and ex post cost-benefit analysis
• Guidance documents (including Treasury Green Book)
• Demand analysis
• Option analysis
• Technical analysis
• Financial analysis
Basic issues in cost-benefit analysis
• Defining the baseline
• Identifying costs and benefits
• Transfers and distributional impacts
• Using market prices to value impacts
• Taking account of inflation and relative price changes
• Discounting (How to discount future impacts, What discount rate to use)
How to deal with risk and uncertainty
• The importance of thinking about risk and uncertainty
• Scenario and sensitivity analysis
• Monte Carlo analysis
• Real options
In more detail : how to quantify costs and benefits
• Challenges in quantifying costs and benefits
• Methods of collecting data and analyzing impacts (Stakeholder engagement, Market research, Behavioral experiments, Statistical analysis, Case studies, Modelling)
• Assessing the additionally of impacts
• Adjusting for optimism bias
How to value non-market impacts
• Why non-market impacts are important
• Techniques for valuing non-market impacts (Using existing valuations, Stated preference, Revealed preference)
• Examples of how to value non-market impacts (Time savings, Carbon impacts, Other environmental impacts
3. Training methods
The training course will be run in a workshop style with a high degree of participants’ involvement. Adult learning methodologies will be employed, and participants will not be passive. Debate and open discussions will be encouraged. The trainer will use a mix of presentations to define and explain key concepts and practical exercises (including real case studies). The training is online and we will share a Link and Course Materials, ahead of training date to paid-up trainees.
EPRN will issue completion certificates to participants who will successfully attend the course and pass the course test.
Note : At the end of the course, the trainer will deliver a test, and ONLY participants who will get at least 60% will get the certificates. Others will be advised to wait until another training opportunity for the same course and will attend it free of charge (this chance is provided only once).
5. Training Fees
• Members : 60,000 Rwf
• Non-members : 100,000 Rwf
6. Payment process
Interested applicants are encouraged to pay the registration fees through the following bank details :
• Bank Account : 00040 06945750 07 RWF (Bank of Kigali)
• Title of the Account : Economic Policy Research Network
Scan the bank slip and send it to : email@example.com and copy to : firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also pay through MTN MOMO PAY (*182*8*1*030683#) or through PayPal on our website (www.eprnrwanda.org) and notify us through email@example.com
NB : Tailor-Made Course
We can also do this as tailor-made course to meet organization-wide needs.
If you need further clarifications, call us through : 0788357648 or write to us : firstname.lastname@example.org
Done at Kigali, 15/07/2021