Terms of Reference to recruit a Trainer on Advanced Excel
Submission deadline : 10/12/2020, 10am local time
The Economic Policy Research Network (EPRN Rwanda) is a membership-based organization aiming at strengthening the capacities of individuals and organizations active in or with an interest in economic policy research and analysis. EPRN Rwanda therefore responds to economic policy gaps resulting mainly from lack of quality and informative research and the challenge of human capacity in terms of limited numbers of economic researchers and active involvement.
The mission of EPRN Rwanda is to contribute to the evidence based economic policy making by providing high quality research, building capacity and creating networking opportunities.
EPRN wishes to recruit a competent trainer to prepare and deliver a training on Advanced Excel to participants of the YEP 5 program of the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning through support of GIZ.
2. Purpose of this training
With the support of GIZ/MIP Program, The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning is running a Young Economist Program (YEP) : Trainees working for a period of six months with some of MINECOFIN’s departments (Chief Economist, National budget and National Development planning and Research Departments). The requested assignment is designed to improve YEP trainees’ capacities for macroeconomic, planning and budgeting analysis ; with a training on intermediate and advanced Excel functionalities.
The training sessions on Excel will allow YEP trainees to improve their capacities on usage of excel to strengthen their analytical skills. The knowledge acquired will help trainees to easily apply a range of excel functions and to understand on how to manipulate the professional databases used by MINECOFIN’ departments (CED, NDPR and NBD) such as macro framework, DMFAS and IFMIS databases, which use excel as data templates.
3. Scope of work of the trainer and expected results
The trainer will have 4 days of advanced Excel including VBA and 3 days of the advanced excel (2nd part).
The content of training includes :
- Review of Excel Skills (constructing formulae, using functions, absolute and relative cell referencing, naming ranges).
- Automating Worksheets (creating and editing templates, using data validation, applying workbook & cell protection).
- Further Functions (nested if functions, using and or operators, lookup and reference functions, text functions, math and trig functions, financial functions).
- Summarizing Worksheets (group and outline a worksheet, hiding and displaying outlines).
- Pivot Tables (creating and modifying pivot tables, refreshing the data, grouping data within a pivot table).
- Data Management (using worksheet auditing tools, tracing dependent and precedent cells and checking for errors & highlighting invalid data).
- Macros (recording simple macros, running and editing macros, assigning macros to the keyboard, toolbar buttons and menus).
- Programming macros by VBA
The main tasks of the trainer in this area are :
• Design and coordinate trainings
• Prepare in advance training materials in line with the topics defined.
• Prepare in advance different examples (data) to be used.
• Teach and support participants in practical learning of Excel
• Support the trainees in practical learning of basic Excel : calculations, incrementing, graphs…
At the end of these training sessions, trainees should be :
• Confident in the advanced usage of excel on a daily basis
• Able to do sophisticated calculations and queries using a database
• Able to design tables using different sheets according to the structure of the respective exercise / problem
• Knowledgeable in producing and formatting different sorts of graphs in a short period.
The targeted periods are December 14th-17th, 2020 for the first session ; and February 22nd-23rd, 2021 for the second session.
The total hours for all sessions are 48 hours. Participants for this round will be 17-20 MINECOFIN YEP trainees.
4. Required Profile
• A minimum of Master’s Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Economics or related fields
• At least three years’ experience in delivering professional trainings
• Proven specific experience in preparing and delivering training in Advanced Excel
• Being a member to EPRN is an added value.
5. Application Process
Interested candidates are requested to submit a Motivation Letter to EPRN, Detailed CV, Certificates of completion to prove relevant experience and Financial offer (by indicating daily rates including taxes) at EPRN office located at UR-CBE Gikondo (ex SFB) by not later than 10/12/2020, 10am local time. Applications may also be sent through EPRN PO Box : 7375 Kigali-Rwanda until 10/12/2020, 9am OR emailed to : firstname.lastname@example.org (please send all documents in PDF format and indicate “Trainer on Advanced Excel” in the email subject) by not later than 10/12/2020, 10am local time.